Women of Color feminism

I came across this video of four women reading slam poetry and I quickly found myself agreeing to everything they were saying. Feminism was not intended for white women and didn't start out that way. Some of the biggest proponents and the reason third wave feminism really gained momentum was because of women such as bell hooks and Audre Lorde who were not afraid to voice their opinions about the gender inequalities in life. They were brave women, just as these four women are, too. One woman says "Rosie the Riveter did what women have been doing for years" which really struck me. Women have been writing feminist theories and stories for a long time now, but as soon as a white woman raised her voice, she became an instant household icon.


In the same manner, Emma Watson gave a speech on feminism and gained international celebrity and recognition for her work. Yet, the same things she said has been written by other women, who happen to be of color. It's clear that there is some kind of racial disparity and I can understand why people like Rebecca Hurdis came across other people who are reluctant to call themselves Feminists - because they don't 'belong; in that social sphere. Another part of the video, resonated with me: "I'm afraid that calling myself a Feminist will add to the list of things that will make me an easy victim - another reason for them to attack."


But I would argue that while I have not experienced the same things that other women of color have, I too, have felt marginalized by the rest of society because of my gender. I'm a Latina and can agree with the girl from the video when she says: "There's so much more than black and white feminism Chicana feminism is the act of removing the hands of machismo wrapped around our throats." Growing up in a culture that has taught males and females to succumb to specific, unaltering gender roles, I know the feeling, the need, to escape traditions. I am fortunate enough to have had a strong mother role to teach me to break free from stereotypes given to Latinas.

I am unafraid to call myself a woman of color feminist. I feel that women of color should not be afraid to demand their place in the feminist sphere.

Comments