Riot Grrrl #18

Riot Grrrl #18
Thr. July 30, 2015
Playlist link
Stream WRGP


HINDS - Chili Town
The Casket Girls - Same Side
PJ Harvey - This is Love
The Breeders - No Aloha
White Lung - Down with the Monster
Free Kitten - Oh Bondage Up Yours
Worriers - Yes All Cops
Against Me! - Unconditional Love


PINS - Molly
Feels - I Wished For Butterflies
Vivian Girls - John, I'm Only Dying
Lady Lamb - Billions of Eyes
The Amps - She's a Girl
The Coathangers - Love Em and Leave Em
Skinny Girl Diet - Trade Your Brains
Xray Eyeballs - Egyptian Magician
SOAK - Sea Creatures
Best Coast - Jealousy

Highlights:
  • "Chili Town" by HINDS because I really like their Spanish accent fused with their garage-y feel and the lyrics about a girl just doing whatever she wants, like pretending to flirt with a guy. I've been obsessed with them this whole summer and can't wait for them to release an album! I've recommended them to everyone I know - so good. Their demos are A+++++
  • "Bondage Up Yours" by Free Kitten because ever since I read Kim Gordon's memoir, Girl in a Band, I have gotten a new perspective on her music and especially her side project Free Kitten. 
  • "Yes All Cops" by Worriers because it's so important to note the increasing levels ofpolice brutality lately and the responses by people around the country like Black Lives Matter.
  • "Unconditional Love" by Against Me! since I think it's so important to recognize trans artists and respect gender pronouns and the awesome music they're making.
  • "Molly" by PINS. I really enjoyed their latest album and was wonderfully surprised to read that this song was inspired by Emily Dickinson's poem! Here's the poem:
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

Futile - the winds -
To a Heart in port -
Done with the Compass -
Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden -
Ah - the Sea!
Might I but moor - tonight -
In thee!

Comments