Riot Grrrl #17

Riot Grrrl #17
Thr. July 23, 2015
Playlist: http://fiusm.com/2015/07/23/riot-grrrl-17/


Sonic Youth – Swimsuit Issue
Hop Along – Waitress
Screaming Females – High
Erase Errata – History of Handclaps
The Pack a.d. – Haunt You
Dum Dum Girls – Girls Intuition
Emily Gold – Cyanide Lollipop
Vivian Girls – Take It As It Comes
Free Kitten – Top 40

Alessia Cara – Here
The Staves – No Me, No You, No More
Natalie Prass – Why Don’t You Believe In Me
Kristian Diable – Time Will Wait
Girlpool – I Like That You Can See It
Frankie Cosmos – Owen
Peach Kelli Pop – Shampoo
Globelamp – Sunflowers
Highlights:
  • "Swimsuit Issue" by Sonic Youth. Probably one of my favorite Sonic Youth songs because Kim Gordon absolutely kills it. Love the lyrics that address unwanted harassment: "Don't touch my breast I'm just working at my desk. Don't put me to the test I'm just doing my best"
  • "Cyanide Lolipop" by Emily Gold because I like the contrast of having an icon such as Kim Gordon and a newer artist like Emily Gold. I am very interested in seeing her progress because I think she could be pretty big. Support all girls.
  • "Here" by Alessia Cara!! So good! I really enjoy her honesty with the lyrics: "But since my friends are here, I just came to kick it/But really I would rather be at home all by myself/Not in this room with people who don't even care about my well-being/I don't dance, don't ask, I don't need a boyfriend/So you can, go back, please enjoy your party." She captures the feeling so well with her soulful music.
  • "Owen" by Frankie Cosmos. I love music that feels like it was made in someone's bedroom and was so much fun to make.
  • "Shampoo" by Peach Kelli Pop because I love the sound of this band and the California dream pop feel.
  • "Sunflowers" by Globelamp. If you know me, you know I love sunflowers. And I love this song. I really like how Miss Elizabeth describes the flowers: "I can't stop thinking about sunflowers/they line the streets in my dreams and grow taller than me"

Comments