Riot Grrrl #33 emily dickinson

Riot Grrrl #33
12/10/15
playlist link
stream WRGP

A special playlist in honor of Emily Dickinson (born December 10, 1830)



This episode was a lot of fun to put together in honor of Emily Dickinson's birthday. There were so many songs I wanted to play, but here are the songs and poems that I think are quintessential of Emily Dickinson's poems. My favorite poem is I'm Nobody and I think Efrat Ben Zur sings it beautifully! I also love Girlpool and the song "Emily" and so this was a great match. I also enjoyed including different women reading her poems and even female artists that cover her poems.

I also wanted to create an aura of isolation because she almost never left her house and is famous for always staying in. Despite this, she made over 1,000 poems in her lifetime that are still being read and studied almost two centuries later. She is a true riot grrrl for her feminist themes and autonomy of her own life.

Laurie Anderson – The Lake – Instrumental
Soko – Happy Hippie Birthday
PINS – Molly
Emily Dickinson – Wild Nights, Wild Nights
Girlpool – Emily
Julie Harries reading Emily Dickinson – I Died for Beauty, but was Scarce
Melody’s Echo Chamber – Some Time Alone, Alone
Cat Power – Woman Left Lonely
Emily Dickinson – I’m Wife – I’ve Finished

Efrat Ben Zur – I’m Nobody
Angel Olsen – Hi-Five
Efrat Ben Zur – While I was Fearing It
Warpaint – Lissie’s Heart Murmur
Carlot-ta – Make Me a Picture of the Sun
Ellika Hansen – This Is My Letter To the World
Carla Bruni – I Went to Heaven
Natalie Merchant – Because I Could Not Stop for Death
Efrat Ben Zur – Til the End

Comments